July 13, 2005

Plonk

Last night Sean had a party at Plonk to celebrate his getting a job in Dulles. We had never been to Plonk before. It is a pretty neat place. The atmosphere is really laid back which I thought was cool. It is kind of like one of those nice coffee shops where there are plush chairs and couches to hang out on, except you're not drinking coffee, you're drinking wine! It was fun. And congrats, Sean!

I was just seeing if Plonk has a website, which it appears they don't. But I came across this forum with a lot of heated talk. I started reading all the posts and it gets a little strange. I don't think that you should withdraw your business from someplace that you happen to enjoy just because the owners aren't moral people in your view. I guess you could argue that by giving them your business you are supporting their lifestyle and their morality, but that is a bit of a stretch. Everybody needs to make a living. And everybody has morals that are just a bit different from yours.

I don't necessarily think that a bunch of big-city people are moving to small cities in the west and polluting them with their big-city preferences (such as wine bars or fancy places to eat). I moved here recently, less than a year ago still. Granted, I'm not a rich city dweller, but I'm still new here. And being new here one thing I have to say is that I feel much more comfortable walking into a place like Plonk as opposed to a dark bar full of locals. Even though I'm not rich! Those dark bars where locals hang out are always a bit sketchy.

Before my husband and I moved here we lived in Socorro, New Mexico. We loved it. The town has about 9000 residents. Definitely smaller than Bozeman. And it is not a place that is particularly attractive to rich city dwellers, so there weren't all these rich people moving in and putting up fancy restaurants and boutiques. So it wasn't being "ruined" that way. What did happen was a Wal Mart. Previously you had to drive about 45 miles to the nearest Wal Mart. An interesting trip. Now, you just have to drive across the street, practically. In my mind, those kind of big-box stores are what degrade a community, not small fancy places where only a few people shop. Like someone said on the forum, look at 19th avenue in Bozeman now. Ick. What caused all that traffic and congestion? Not Plonk.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

By your logic, if Hitler owned a cafe that was supporting him, you'd patronize it. If Saddam or Pol Pot owned a bookstore, you wouldn't think twice to give them your money. People complain that they don't have an impact with their votes, but we vote everyday when we purchase things.

Anonymous said...

I read the posts you linked to and I've never been there, but I wouldn't support a place that was owned by someone that did those things. We all have lots of choices and don't need to compromise our character just for a nice meal.

mary said...

Hey!! thanks for the information. If you're looking for a concrete provider. Visit Us https://syracuseconcretecontractor.com/

mary said...

Hey!! thanks for the information. If you're looking for a concrete provider. Visit Us Concrete Patio Design