July 07, 2005

Long time ... no see

Yep. I'm not a real blogger. I haven't had the discipline to sit down and write about anything. To tell you the truth, I do have quite a lot to write about, but I've been too afraid because I think someone I might be writing about might read my blog and then they'd be angry with me or whatever. So there have been a couple of changes in the last day or so. Like I took my name off. Anyway, no big deal. But now I wish to write more often. And now I feel a little bit more comfortable doing so. I guess still if I talk about people and they read my blog they'll still know I'm talking about them.

Example: I just read the blog of one of my husband's office mates. We "secretly" discovered that she had a blog -- my husband saw her writing in it and looked at the address. So now we read it. Anyway, she wrote two sentences about us today. I guess it's just weird to know someone else is talking about you.

I got my new office key today, and therefore my new desk! I have one real "job" at the Space Satellite and Engineering Laboratory. It is so nice to not be working for my advisor!! I refuse to be a grad student slave. I did it for a semester and found out that it is the worst possible situation. So no more of that for me. Now I *work* somewhere different from where I *research*. This is the distinction that I like. When I was an undergrad I had the same sort of thing worked out. I did research on fossils, and I worked in the mass spectrometry lab in the geology department. Two things almost unrelated. I enjoyed both, and I liked having a distinction between work and research. And this past semester I found out that I still like having that distinction. I feel like I am always learning that way, especially when I enjoy both my work and my research. At this point, work is much more interesting and exciting than my research. But soon I will be finished with my Masters and then we'll go from there. But I'm NOT coring anymore lakes. NO.

No comments: