November 22, 2005

I made an age-depth model

Yes, this morning I sat down and made an age-depth model for the one core that I have fully dated. I did get those radiocarbon dates which I was waiting for to see how old my records are, and now I'm waiting on some 210 Pb dates from the tops of the other two cores. When you have both 14C and 210Pb dates from a site, you can put them together and make a pretty graph. So that's what I did. Here is that nice graph:
Isn't it pretty? I fit a 3rd order polynomial to the data (black line) which is the actual "model". Now I use that to make my charcoal data into a time-series. Then I can start doing all kinds of fun statistics on it. I am looking forward to getting my other lakes age-depth models worked out because one big thing I want to look at is possible correllations between lakes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear someone enypys it! I have just done more or less the same thing for sediments from a rather large but shrinking inland sea in central asia. I found the whole thing a complete nightmare Like you I did a masters which I thought was absolutely wonderful...unfortunately I then elected to do a PhD and can safely say it was one of the worst decisions I have ever made (10 years earlier and I might have thought otherwise...the necessary attention to detail is soul destroying) and can't wait until the damn thing is over...not long now only two chapters to write!