August 02, 2005

Uh oh...

So I feel really bad right now. I just spent a couple hours with the new grad student Mariana. She is pretty cool. At one point I was trying to warn her about the department politics here, and she started asking questions. Anyway, I just feel bad because I feel like I scared her. She came here thinking everything would be super, and it was for a couple of days, and then she talks to me and I freak her out. I really didn't want to do that. I wanted to gently talk to her about a few things, but I didn't want to make her think it's the end of the world. I just feel like I depressed her for no good reason. On the other hand, I wish that someone here had told me a thing or two before I started. I would have made some changes to my plan. I wouldn't have left, but I wouldn't be doing the same thing. Definitely. So in one way I really, really, didn't want to scare her or depress her, but on the other hand she is going to find this stuff out at some point. Maybe better now than in 4 months when she's stuck with something she hates.
I don't know. Did I do completely the wrong thing? I don't know.

2 comments:

Quetzal said...

I think it is very useful that other graduate students give new grad students a feel for the department. How else would they get the info? I am a new grad student in my department and I recently sat down with one of the 4th year grad. students and she told me all that had gone wrong with her mentor and her project. It was great because it made me re-think what I wanted to do with my project. Originally I was going to work with somebody that was on her committee, but since listening to her I realized I didn't have the personality to deal with that advisor. Therefore, I am staying in the lab I am in now, since the advisor is great! Something she also recommended. So I am totally in agreement with telling new grad students what is going on....or else we will find out in another horrible way!

Unknown said...

Thank you soma. I think it is better to find out bad stuff from someone else, instead of having something horrible happen to you. I definitely wish I had known more when I started. I think I would have been able to make better decisions. Good luck with your grad studies!