August 02, 2005

The amazing charcoal counting machine

I am the amazing charcoal counting machine! Yesterday I prepped 40 samples of charcoal to count today, thinking that it would take me the better part of the day. Well, I got here before 8, and I finshed my charcoal counting about 15 minutes ago. Whoa! Plus, I wasn't counting for that entire time! I was continuing some LOI work, and I even went over to the other building with the new grad student to get the dept. credit card. I kick some major ass! And that means that I don't have to sit around here all afternoon counting charcoal, which is a huge drag. Nice.

Instead, Mariana (the new grad) and I are going to buy wood for core-boxes. Yay. Mariana is going to get paid to make them, something I couldn't say, so she is happy to do it. I am happy to work my other job. I suppose it is a good trade. It is very interesting to get to know a new grad student who is in a similar position to what I was in only a year ago. For some reason even a year can make you feel like the old expert. I'm a little worried for her, since she has had no experience in this field (which I hadn't either). I'm just worried that she'll get stuck with a project that sucks and she won't like it either. I don't wish that on other people. On the whole though Mariana seems really cool. I have only talked to her for about an hour so far though. There will be plenty of time to get to know her.

I'm way excited for next week because my mom is coming to visit! I'm really looking forward to it. I've been sort of thinking of stuff to do for a while now, but I don't have any concrete plans. We'll just see what we want to do. But it will be fun. And in 23 days Danny's comp will be over!!! That is going to be a big change. Hopefully for the better.

No comments: